Becoming the parent of a newborn for the first time, you may have read or heard about the incredible growth and development that takes place in infants. This amazing potential for learning and advancement should not be underestimated, as it is a pivotal point in your child's life. Access to the right brain development program can support and encourage this progress. If you are looking for a day care facility that focuses on healthy early childhood development, consider Kids 'R' Kids Learning Academy of Cinco Ranch East. Our facility is more than just a day care center. We offer an innovative curriculum that will provide your child with optimal support during this critical period of development.
How your child's brain develops from infancy to adulthood
- Before birth: Your child's first brain cell is born just two days after conception. At birth your child will have almost reached the full number of brain cells. The connections (neurological synapses) between these brain cells are incomplete, however, and have to be built.
- First eight months of life: In this time frame, synapses are forming rapidly in response to mental stimulation. In the first three months alone, they can multiply more than 20 times, forming over 1,000 trillion connections.
- First five years of life: During this time, every experience is a new stimulation for the brain, causing rapid developments and structural changes. This is known as brain plasticity. Constantly making new neural connections, the brain is highly flexible and prepared to learn. A process known as pruning reduces over time, but brain cells that are not activated during the first five years will be permanently lost. It is essential that your child receives the right targeted stimulation in these critical five years through developmentally appropriate activities that target different spheres of the brain. Focused stimulation and repetition in an enriching environment will assist in wiring the brain to help your child reach their ultimate potential. It can also help reduce the natural pruning process that can affect up to 25% of neural connections. Encourage your child's development by exposing them to lots of new, positive experiences. A trip to Mary Jo Peckham Park is an infant-friendly adventure to see ducks, the koi pond, explore the park and even have a picnic.
- Ages five to twelve: The learning process is still rapid from five to ten, but brain cells are being pruned away simultaneously. At ten, the pruning process speeds up, taking away unused connections in order to properly organize the brain's wiring.
- Twelve to adulthood: At this stage, the brain is still learning, but it is not as flexible as it was at a younger age. For this reason, older learners and adults learn new things more slowly, whether it is a foreign language or how to use a computer. It is the support developed at a far younger age that allows your child to continue learning successfully. They will then have an optimal neural structure as well as a strong foundation on which to build.
At Kids 'R' Kids Learning Academy of Cinco Ranch East, we understand that the first five years of your child's life plays a pivotal role in their future. Our scientifically developed Brain Waves Curriculum provides your child with uniquely calibrated incentive. Balanced with our "Hug First" "Then Teach" philosophy, it will ensure that they get the right mental stimulation at the right time in a highly nurturing environment. To find out more about our innovative curriculum and state-of-the-art facility, please contact us today.